Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Harder and Less

My daughter’s vision is changing for the worse.   It’s harder for her to see some things and she can see less of others, like colors.    I don’t know if it’s the cataract or if something else is going on in her eye.   And by eye, I mean her left eye, the right one doesn’t seem to be useful at all at this point.

We have an evaluation under anesthesia with her retina surgeon on the nineteenth coming up.   I’ve been debating for some time if we should contact him and let him know things are getting worse.   We all know they’re getting worse, the thing is, are they getting worse because of the cataract, which is a known thing, or is it something else like her pressure has dropped and we should act faster?

It’s hard to watch her struggle, asking me to pick out the colored marker from the six in the container, because she can’t easily tell which one is the brown one.   It’s hard to watch her try and stay in the lines of her braille coloring book because she’s using her vision instead of fingers and moving her head around one inch from the paper makes it hard to do any sort of coloring other than, “scribble scrabble” as my children call it.

She’s not unhappy, I keep saying that.  Maybe I say it because it makes me feel better about this whole awful situation, but I also say it because it’s true.

The Big Boy Update:  The Lady Gaga song, “Million Reasons” was playing in the car today.   One of the main lines is, “you’re giving me a million reasons…”  My son didn’t understand what she was saying exactly so he asked me, “mom, do you want a million laces?”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s vision impairment teacher gave us a coloring book where all the lines are raised.   There are words or a sentence at the bottom of the page in script as well as braille.   My daughter has been coloring in the pages for days now and has been happy to have a coloring book that’s special for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment