Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Body Alignment

I was talking to my mother about exercise the other day and she and I remembered when we took a PE class together in college.    My mother worked at the college I attended.   This was nice because she was close in case I ever needed anything.  One summer I was looking at classes to take and thought it might be a good time to get in a PE course.   My mother said she’d take the, “Body Alignment” class with me if I wanted to take something with her, which is exactly what we did.

Body Alignment sounds like an automotive repair class, but this particular course was designed to help athletes and dancers recover from injuries that had caused them to favor one side.    The teacher, Aldo Melito, was a dancer and had a lot of experience helping people regain their pre-injury performance levels.

The class for those of us who weren’t athletes, dancers or even injured people in general, was fairly easy though.    We began the class by stretching.   And then after that, we walked.   We walked around the gym, we walked out into the yard, we walked down the road and we walked back into the dance room.

As we walked around our teacher would walk behind us and tell us how we were doing—walking.   He’d let us know if he saw us favoring one side and give us tips on how we could work to balance our gait.   I don’t have any idea what he told me, if anything about my balance or imbalance, I was just having fun walking around and talking with my mother.

It was a fun summer taking a class with my mother, particularly one as easy as Body Alignment.    I heard some years later Aldo Melito had died.   He was a very kind and caring teacher.

The Big Boy Update:  We had a birthday dinner recently and I’m not sure why, but my son announced, “I want to eat my vegetables first because it’s a birthday dinner”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter like chap stick or lip moisturizer.   She asks for it from time to time when she remembers I have it in my purse.   Today I got her her own tube.   She carried it around all afternoon, putting some on her lips about every fifteen minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment