Monday, February 6, 2017

Blind New World

My brother-in-law sent me an email saying he’d seen an ad in the Boston subway and thought we might be interested.   The link is below and I wasn’t sure what to expect from the text on the main page before I selected and watched the videos.

http://blindnewworld.org

It had never occurred to me that I might or might not be prejudiced towards blind people.   Having a blind child now has changed how I see blind people, but I’m still only at the five-year-old mark and less than two years into understanding low-vision and blind implications and conversely capabilities.

I don’t know how other people feel, but it know it is a sadness to hear of a child who’s lost their sight.   That doesn’t mean my daughter isn’t capable, she’s just going to achieve things in a different way.

Thanks to Uncle Bob for sharing the link.

The Big Boy Update:  I was running for a very long time yesterday on my birthday.   When I got home I cleaned up and shortly thereafter we went to my parent’s house to have birthday roast and cake.   My husband did a lot of work from home yesterday and as such, gratefully, our children entertained themselves for the most part all day.   We didn’t sound like the best parents in the world though when we got in the door of Mimi and Gramp’s house and my son announced, “I’ve played video games all day!”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  This morning my daughter came downstairs while I was making breakfast and told me as she got into her chair, “Mom, I just want to say happy birthday one more time even though it’s not your real birthday anymore.”

No comments:

Post a Comment