Saturday, February 11, 2017

When Family Visits

We have had the pleasure of having friends of our family visiting over the past few days.   We’ve had our honorary, “Aunt Jo” with us for three nights and my lifelong friend, Richard, for a day and a night.    My parents joined us for some reminiscing and new memory making at dinner last night.   Given our ages, it was more reminiscing than anything else, but with a five- and six-year-old at the table, it was certain new memories would be added into the mix.

On the way to dinner I had a realization.   It was one of those things you don’t think about until it suddenly strikes you as a fact.  This particular fact involved noise.   My husband, Richard and I were in our car with the children, grandparents leading the way in the car ahead.   The three of adults, without even realizing it, were rising above, ignoring the higher and louder decibel range of the children in the third row, making the most of the few minutes of adult time we’d been afforded.

It was in that loud, shrieking, laughing, cackling time with the children that I said, “Richard, I can absolutely tell you’re a parent too, because none of this crazy noise is even bothering you.”

Dinner was fun and the evening ended with us all hoping to get together again when schedules permitted.   Hopefully soon.

The Big Boy Update:  It was about time to call my son for dinner tonight.  He was focused on his iPad, something he gets time with on the weekends—something he can get sucked into for hours unless the time is managed.   I told him his dinner was almost ready.  He didn’t even look up as he said, “it saves time if you call me Batman.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter came into the bathroom where I was getting ready today.  She was bouncing around for a bit and then stopped to tell me, “I almost threw up but I didn’t, I threw it back down.”

No comments:

Post a Comment