Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Adopted Zoo

We went to the local zoo today to visit some special friends.   We’d never been to the zoo near my in-law’s Florida home but we had a special reason to go on this visit.   For Christmas this year my husband’s sister, “Aunt A” gave each of our children a stuffed animal representing their favorite animal.   My son picked a tiger and my daughter picked a hedgehog.  

A few days after the stuffed animals arrived a packaged addressed to each of the children came in the mail from the zoo.    Aunt A had adopted a tiger and hedgehog in my children’s names and today we were hoping to be able to see them. 

We arrived just in time for the tiger show.   Beropi, my son’s tiger, was inside but we got to see one of the other three tigers up close.  My son said that was fine and he liked all tigers.  

We spent some more time at the zoo, seeing lots of interesting things.   We talked to one of the staff who was showing a blue tongued skink to people and letting them pet him if they wanted to about the possibility of seeing my daughter’s adopted hedgehog named Fasso.    He said the hedgehogs weren’t part of an exhibit we could walk through although they were brought out for teaching purposes like what he was doing with the skink.  

Unfortunately we weren’t going to have a chance to see Fasso today.   But we heard about him and he told us what hedgehogs were like, what they ate and how they felt.    My daughter had fun petting the skink and exploring the zoo with her brother and talking about their adopted pets. 

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Children Naming Update:  After the zoo today we came back and got in the pool.   My children could stay in the pool all day and today was no different.   They were having a good time making up games and playing together for hours.    At one point my daughter said to me, “mom, do you know what the most beautiful name in the world is?”  I told her I didn’t and she said, “it’s Phoenix.”   I asked her if she was going to name one of her children Phoenix.   She casually agreed she was planning on just that when her brother jumped in yelling, “I’m going to name one of my children, ‘Phoenix 2.0’”!

No comments:

Post a Comment