Thursday, October 22, 2015

What the Hell?

It’s that time again.   It’s wish list updating time.    My children have their birthdays in November and December so right about now I start to scramble to figure out what I can put on their online lists so that family members will have an idea what they might like.

My son is easy.   He’s easy in that he likes so much and such a varied amount of “boy things” you can’t really go wrong with him.   Today I had him sit down at the computer with me and asked him, “so what are you really interested in lately?   Weren’t you watching some show on your iPad?”   He told me about Ninjago, which is a lego-based thing from what I can tell and Power Rangers.   I’m glad I asked, because apparently some of the things he was into mere months ago aren’t the current draw.

I went to Amazon.com and started searching for toys under those two shows and lots of things popped up.    My son was an easy mark for this kind of information-based manipulation.   He would ask me to click on one of the items to see what it was.   I had added several things to his wish list already when I changed to the second page of suggestions by Amazon.   That’s when he leaned towards the monitor and said, “what the hell?” in perfect intonation.  

I told him, “you can say, ‘what the heck?’” and left it at that.   He decided to practice saying it once and then he was far more interested in the toy to think much more about it.   We correct them on pronunciation and grammar all the time so I went with the not making a big deal about it route and left it at that.  

His wish list has some good stuff on it now, too.

The Big Boy Update:  My son knows his way around videos apparently.   He saw one of the toys online today and said to me, “play the video.”   There were several pictures, but one of the pictures had the ‘play’ arrow symbol over it.   He knew exactly what that meant.   After seeing the video he decided he most definitely was interested in having the toy added to his wish list.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was on the phone with my husband today and a pneumatic nail gun came up in conversation.   I said, “I’ll call dad and ask him if he has one.”   When I hung up my daughter, who had been in the room for the conversation, said, “mom, why do you call Gramps, ‘dad’?”

1 comment: