Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Crippled Exponential Progression

In some things I’m a curmudgeon.   For one, I don’t like Valentine’s Day.  I don’t have any problem with anyone else liking it.   If it’s your thing to make sure your loved one knows you love them in a super special, overly-commercialized and crowded restaurant kind of way, then go for it.   I’d just rather do something nice for my husband at a time that makes sense to me, not when society tells me it’s the day to do so.  

So there’s this Boo thing that happens in neighborhoods.  I don’t know if you’ve experienced it, but it’s cute.   But for some reason I can’t get into it.   I’m not sure why I can’t, because it’s not at all like Valentine’s day, but it seems like another thing to get people to buy stuff to celebrate a holiday before the holiday has even arrived.

Here’s how it works: you get a piece of paper with a picture of a ghost on it.   You have a second piece of paper that says, “You’ve been Boo’d!  Copy these pages two times and boo two of your neighbors by tomorrow.”    You get some sort of Halloween treat or item and deliver that along with the papers to someone’s doorstep.  You knock or ring the doorbell and then you run.    You have just successfully Boo’d your neighbor.

If you have children, they love this.  They want to know what it is and can they eat it right now, even though it’s past bedtime.   If you’re an adult you suddenly have been given a job to do that you didn’t sign up for.   Quick though, put that Boo picture up on your front door so you won’t get Boo’d again, because that’s just greedy.

This year the whole boo thing seems to have gotten out of control though.   Some time back it was a little plate of three cookies.   Now it’s these nice containers with multiple things inside that, again, my kids are super excited about.

I call it a crippled exponential progression though because if everyone followed the next day rules and boo’d two people, a large neighborhood would be fully boo’d by the seventh or eighth day.  In practice, some people don’t get around to making their boo baskets quickly or at all and then every house has a ghost on the door.

I’m fundamentally lazy and I don’t like to be told what to do, which I think is where the whole Boo rub comes in for me.   I was going to be a little lazy for a day or two and see if maybe we were at the end of the booing craze.   But my husband couldn’t manage it; he was compelled to get our boo duty done.    And he did do a nice job.   I don’t remember who he boo’d, but I liked the packages he made up.

And if you’re reading this, thanks for the Boo stuff.   It’s been fun.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been playing Mario Maker and the Mario game.   This was a conversation he had with Gavin earlier today.  Gavin, “Peach is beautiful when she’s in cat mode.”  My son, “I love Peach.  Peach is beautiful when she doesn’t have fire power too.”   Then, tonight when he was playing and my husband and I were in the room he said, “Peach is beautiful.”  Here is a picture of the beautiful Princess Peach:


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We are running out of driveway.   My daughter has covered it all with her drawings.   She’s doing stick figures more and more now.   She told dad this afternoon that one of them was her brother.   I came back and looked at them with here later in the day and she knew exactly which one of her drawings he was.

Fitness Update:  We ran eighteen miles today and did sprints for twenty seconds every five minutes.   It dropped our pace by over a minute.   My legs are tired, but cardio-wise it was a regular run.   So fun to be able to add a little speed with a push every five miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment