Monday, October 5, 2015

Telling Signs

This is one of those posts about my daughter’s vision.   It’s been a tough time determining if her vision is improving, degrading of maintaining because my three-year-old isn’t inclined to provide us with insightful information.

What we get is what we can observe.  Today I think I observed some improvements in my daughter’s vision.   We decided to play the road signs game on the way home from one of our errands.   Because my son was in the car and his vision is what we would call, “normal” under regular situation but we might refer to as “exceptionally perceptive” when compared to my daughter, we had to put constraints on the game.

I told them to look for road signs on the side of the card their car seat was on and to let me know when they saw a sign and to tell me what color it was.   For my son, this was child’s play.   If he could read, he would have been calling out street names and block addresses.   For my daughter, getting a “I see green, mommy” for an overhead highway sign would be a big sign of success.

But I was surprised.   My daughter was noticing more signs than I expected.   She was seeing smaller signs than she’s seen in several weeks.    I wouldn’t have guessed she could see so well, given what she saw at the store not one hour before…

We were looking through the toy and holiday isle while we waited for my husband and brother-in-law to get done selecting merchandise.   I asked my daughter if she knew what was on the large boxes in front of her.   They showed pictures of gingerbread houses, something she’s been talking about for the past week or so.   She had no idea.

Maybe it’s the Atropine working close-up though, because her far vision seems to be improving.

The Big Boy Update:  There was a lot of noise in the car this afternoon.   I suggested we play the quiet game.   My son, seeing the situation for what it was, said, “I want to play the whining game.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter has had my wrath put upon her several times recently.   My big complaint is that she doesn’t need to say, “mommy” at the start of every thought to me.   I have even yelled, “PLEASE STOP CHANTING ‘MOMMY.’”  She’s been working on it too.   Today she said, “You didn’t want me to say ‘mommy’ or ‘Courtney,’ right?   Okay, I’ll try again.”    She did, and she got it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment