Saturday, October 31, 2015

Red Eye Evening

For Halloween tonight my son was a silver ninja.   My husband was a black ninja and my daughter was a candy fairy.   I was a not-quite-yet zombie.  I had been bitten, or blood spatter got in my mouth, or I got blood from another zombie in an open wound or any countless other ways it’s propertied you can become infected.   Regardless, my time was short.  

Because I knew I was going to turn, I dedicated my remaining hours to creating an “antidote” for our neighbors in the hopes the neighborhood could be saved.    I put the antidote (along with some alcohol) in centrifuge test tubes and shared them with all the adults who stopped by our house tonight to trick-or-treat.  

I was friendly.  I was convivial.   I was downright happy.   I told people I was doomed—that any moment I might turn and try to eat their brains, but for now, I’d never felt better.   Oh, and they’d better have one (or two) of these antidotes.

I also had some contact lenses to make my eyes red.   I’ve never worn cosmetic contacts before, but they were comfortable and I forgot they were in shortly after inserting them.  They were fun to wear because the look was so unexpected.  I had a lot of people comment on them, particularly my son wh said, “mom, don’t look at me with your red eyes!”

The Big Boy Update:  Nana and Papa were going to wear surprise costumes tonight for Halloween.   Last evening my son was bothering Nana, saying he wanted to know what they were going to be.   She said she wouldn’t tell him but she would give him one small hint.   She said, “I’m going to jingle.”  He immediately said, “ah, you’re going to be a jester.”   She never mentioned to any of us their costumes.   How did he know?   What connection did he make?   Nana was amazed.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter said to me the other day, “if you say that one more time…”   I was in the middle of being firm with her but when she said that I couldn’t help but laugh.

Fitness Update:  We ran a half-marathon distance run today with sprints every so often.   There was some sort of snafu with the interval training app I use in my phone that caused the intervals of low and high-intensity to not be announced out loud.   We gave up on the app and decided just to call out sprints of varying times/distances when we thought it was time for one.   We ran the half-marathon distance at 10:30 minute miles, which is a significant improvement for us.   If we keep up the pace running for a few more weeks before the marathon, hopefully we’ll have no troubles meeting the time cutoff for the Las Vegas Rock and Roll Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment