Thursday, October 15, 2015

Vision Variations

My daughter’s vision is perplexing, to say the least.   Part of the challenge is getting information from her about what she can see and what is hard to see.    She really, really doesn’t like talking about her sight if she figures out that’s what you’re driving at with your questions.   Sometimes though, you get this insight she’s seeing well only to have your hopes dashed with observations later in the day.

This morning I woke up to see my daughter standing quietly in our bedroom, looking out the windows.   I’m not sure if my husband originally liked sleeping in a non-darkened room, but he seems to not be bothered by it at all now.  We have four large windows across the side of our bedroom that face directly East, so in the morning we see the sun rise.  

This morning my daughter was standing in the pre-dawn light, looking out our windows at the sun.   I said, “good morning, what are you looking at?”   She told me, “I was just watching the sun wake up.”  She told me she could see the pink clouds and the trees.    She said she didn’t see the blue sky though.   I explained how the sky would remain grey until the sun was up and then it would look blue if there weren’t clouds blocking the sky.

She climbed into bed with me and I told her I liked her outfit.   She gets herself dressed every morning, including putting her nighttime diaper in the kitchen trashcan, her pajamas in the laundry hamper, getting underpants and an outfit on and sometimes, depending on her mood, socks.   This morning I told her I liked her outfit.   She told me there were snowflakes on her shirt.   I looked carefully and her red shirt had small, white stars on it.   It wasn’t snowflakes, but it was close.

So yeah, I was feeling pretty good about her vision this morning.    This afternoon she came home and was helping me in the kitchen when I asked her who her friends were in her class.   There is a piece of paper with pictures of each classmate taped on our refrigerator at her standing height.   She went over and got within an inch of the paper, squinted with the left eye and had trouble figuring out who was who, including which picture was hers.  

Mystery vision continues…

The Big Boy Update:  My son was looking out the windows in our bedroom the other morning as well.   When he realized I was awake he said, “I’m looking at the pink clouds.”    He thought about it for a few seconds and then said, “pink is a girl color.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is interested in winter, specifically snow lately.   She’s going to make Olaf when there’s snow.   She told me “we’ll need a giant carrot for the nose and chocolate chips for the eyes.”  She and her brother had a conversation about him and then she decided she also needed five chocolate chips for the buttons and some more chocolate chips for his mouth.   At that point there was a decision that they would need some chocolate chips for their mouths as well…to go in their mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment