Sunday, October 18, 2015

"Powerful”

I saw a commercial yesterday.   There’s a very attractive lady holding a microphone on a stand.    They back up and you can see she’s standing at the rear of a car.    She takes the microphone and leans it over until it’s at the rear exhaust pipe and then the car revs.   “Powerful” is the word that comes next as we hear how very loud this car can get and they say, “Introducing the new Mustang.”

My reaction was entirely different today than it would have been before we owned an electric car.    The thing about an electric car—any electric car or hybrid—is that they don’t need to make noise to accelerate.   Loud is in fact a negative attribute for an electric car.    So instead of being impressed by the commercial I was repulsed.  

Time change, attitudes change along with them.   I’m so glad to see more and more electric cars on the roads and more people talking about hybrids and all-electric options than ever before.

The Big Boy Update:  After dinner tonight my children were eating their fortune cookies in the car.   My son handed his fortune back to me so I could read it to him.   I told him his said, “Greyson, you will receive a surprising gift very soon.”   My son paused for a second and then said, “wait, they know my name?”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s fortune tonight read, “your love of life can carry you through any circumstance.”   I thought it was appropriate given her eye situation.    For a second story, in the middle of the night last night she came down to ask for help.  As my husband took her upstairs he heard her stomach rumble.   She said to him, “that was my tummy snoring.”    Then, because I have a lot of cute sayings from my daughter lately, I’ll end on what she told me at the fair today.   As we were coming through the gates in the cool, cloudless morning’s sunlight she said, “I smell the sun.”

Fitness Update:  We went to the state fair today and I walked part-way home for four miles of walking distance.   My neighbor, her husband and I then went running.   He joined us for four miles and then we continued for another seven miles to make eleven miles on the trails.    I was tired afterwards.   Maybe I needed to eat more junk at the fair before I came home to run?

No comments:

Post a Comment