Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Missing Cursor

I keep losing the mouse pointer on my computer screen.   I've never had this happen before, but I've never had the same situation that I do now.   It might sound silly that I can't find the cursor, and it is smaller depending on what it's hovering over.   The real problem is screen real estate. 

And when I say 'problem' what I actually mean is 'feature'.  I recently got an extra-wide monitor.   Monitors, like other technology items, have gone down in price dramatically.   The last time I got a monitor upgrade was years ago.   I had been watching my husband with his two monitors move some things out of the way while keeping the item he was working on directly in front of him. 

I was working in a collection of new software products with the 3D printing and had a collection of ancillary windows related to that work.   I was paging back and forth between virtual desktops, hiding and showing windows and kept losing things. 

A new monitor did solve that problem and now I have more screen space than I could have possibly imagined I'd ever use, even a few years ago.   The big monitor is extended to the laptop beside it, meaning if I move the cursor all the way to the left, it leaves the monitor and appears on the laptop screen.   "Super wide" doesn't even describe it.   I think I have "Mega wide" going on here. 

The problem is, when I come back to the computer after getting up to check something on one of the printers or after helping a child or anything else, I can't find where I left the mouse pointer.   I have to do this waggling around behavior until I see where it's gone to.

It's not a problem I'm worried about having.   I'd gladly keep both it and the new monitor. 

The Big Boy Update:   My son threw a ball at his sister's face today in what I think was an attempt to show off to a friend.  My daughter came in very upset.   I talked to her about it and then I brought him in.  I explained he was exhibiting the type of behavior that bully's have and I didn't think he wanted to be seen that way.   I think he was showing off for the neighbor's son, but it could be that my daughter provoked him.   Either way, violence wasn't okay, I told him. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was taking my daughter to the doctor today (she has a UTI again we believe, but please don't mention this to her as she'd rather people not know.)  She is more interested in all the things associated with driving now that she's been in an accident.   I was describing things as we drove by and she sadly said, "I wish I could see so then I could see all of this."   I told her I wished she could see too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment