Sunday, November 22, 2020

Dang It

I was fine.  Fine from the collision.  Then I went and fell off the swing set today.   I was helping my daughter put a swing back up that the boys were "trying to hurt" so she dropped it to the ground.   It's a four-person swing so I had her on the top of the A-frame, ready to grab the ring and hook it in.   I had gotten the first side hooked by standing in the playhouse side of the swing set but the second side needed me to stand on the crossbar of the A-frame and hand her the heavy chain, connected to the heavy swing.  

We got everything done and then, just like my daughter, I was doing something I'd done a hundred times before as I stood on the A-frame but I lost my balance and fell backward.   I didn't have time to grab the swing behind me and landed, only to feel my neck go crunch.  

The neck was fine though, protected by some metal I suppose from the spinal fusions.   What wasn't okay was my middle lower right side as I slammed into the ground with most of my body weight whamming into that area.   I don't know if 'whamming' is an appropriate word in this context, but it's what it felt like inside. 

I got up and realized I'd shifted some vertebra way out of alignment.   This was confirmed five minutes later when the muscles started spasming from being stretched in the opposite direction due to the subluxation.   The same thing happened to me years ago when I slipped and fell on icy ground in the car park at our old house.   At that time I went straight to the chiropractor and in three hours I was almost as good as new. 

This time I 'whammed' myself on a Sunday so there was nothing to do but wait until tomorrow morning when I can get to the chiropractor and have him un-wham it.   I texted my chiropractor, asking if I could do anything but, in this case, it requires specific and exact force in a direction that isn't something I can do.   

So for today and tonight, I get to tough it out.   I wasn't hurt so much as messed up temporarily.   I will be in their office early morning.   For now, it's NSAID, and going to sleep early. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son was playing Minecraft today when he said to me, "I want to go outside and play now."  Woah, that's a new one.  Usually, he wants to play forever.  At least we've always had to curtail his screen time in the past.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Tomorrow is cast removal day.   My daughter is excited to have her arm free.  I'm excited to have the exceptionally dirty cast taken off her arm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment