Friday, November 6, 2020

For New Players

I am hardly keeping my eyes open at this point and I’m back dating this post to be an hour ago, making it post on Friday night instead of after midnight, which it now definitely is.   My son has been wanting to play Minecraft together for some time.   I told him yesterday that if the Java version would run on my Mac, I’d play with him tonight.   

It turns out it does, and I did play with him, although it mostly involved him running around, doing everything and telling me what was going on while I was lost, got lost again, got myself killed, and was utterly useless.   Still, he loved it.  

Minecraft was free to play although it has since been maintained and expanded by a company and is now a paid game to buy.   There is so much to the game, and children do creative thinking in this block building, crafting, creating world, that I don’t mind him playing it.   

He has a world with his father that I was going to get into tonight but we needed a back leveled version of the game and it was getting late so we decided to save that for tomorrow.   The world they’ve been working in together has been significantly modified and developed by my son.   Earlier today he showed me some of the features of the world he’d created.   He showed me a stack of blocks with all sorts of things floating above each block. 

He had put a sign up in front with the message, “For new players” and told me it was all the things you’d need as a new player to help you when you first started to play. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been giving me a hug every morning and after school each day.   It’s so unlike him but it’s been very nice.   I tell him every time how much it means to me. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicle:  My daughter’s first week back to school in-person is over.   She is home next week while cohort C students get an introduction to life back at school.   Then, starting the following week, she goes back to school full-time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment