Monday, November 2, 2020

Dessert

My daughter is home from her first day back at school, on campus, in the classroom, with real teachers and real students, for the first time in seven months.   She was fairly nonplussed about the whole thing, but I think she was glad to be around other people after so many hours in front of a screen. 

I asked her just now if she had a good time today and I got an answer in the affirmative, but to get more out of her I would have to press her for details, and she’d just found the BopIt Aunt A sent as a present some time back and was busily bopping away.  I’ll hopefully get more information later in the week, but I’m afraid I might have to wait for the information to come when she feels like talking about it. 

I got a text today from Shane, saying she was home from college for a bit and would we like to come over for dessert tonight?  This message arrived in similar timeframe as one from her brother, Blake, who has been back from his twenty-first birthday trip to visit family on the coast, where he fished off their dock, sending pictures of huge fish he caught.   Blake sent a text saying, “I got my test back and I’m negative.”

We’re heading over for dessert now, so I’d better wrap this up.   I always insist we leave on time and if I’m the one making us late, I won’t hear the end of it. 

The Big Boy Tiny Girl We Don’t Want to Listen to it Update:  My children will not try something new if they’re not ready for it, even if they’re bored.  They would rather do the old thing they’ve done before than try something their mother or father recommends.   You have to get them in just the right frame of mind—or you have to trick them.   I have tricked them several times lately by starting an audiobook they have insisted they just do NOT want to hear while they were captured in the car and had no choice.   I don’t say a thing, I just put the book on.   Today, I started The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, a book we’ve had for a while that both Blake and I have said they’d love.   They have listened to two other series by him and love his books.   Now, after only ten minutes in the car with my daughter listening, both children are individually listening on two different Alexa devices.   My daughter infected my son with the book over dinner after the ride home from school with me today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment