Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Not Clothes!

My daughter talked to my mother about two weeks ago.  One of the reasons my mother wanted to call was to find out what she wanted for her birthday.  The list included many things we could put on her wish list, including that Barbie Dream House and lots of American Girl sized items.  The one thing my daughter absolutely did not want was clothes.   

This was an interesting comment from her, but absolutely understandable.   She needs some clothes right now.   While it was a crazy seventy-eight degrees here today, it will be cold in short order and my daughter was very low on pants that a) fit her and b) hadn't been destroyed by her outside adventures.  

She had been asking me for clothes.   But in her mind, she didn't want to get clothes in lieu of toys, hence the ban on clothes for her birthday.   My mother-in-law wanted to get her some clothes and I told her they would be much appreciated, but to phrase in such a way as to say, "I was just passing by these lovely clothes and couldn't resist getting them for you and it certainly didn't occur to me that your birthday was coming up because I already had your gift and would never get you clothes for your birthday because clothes aren't nearly as fun as toys."   

Okay, not those words, but that general gist.  And that's what my mother-in-law did and the clothes were well-received.  

Tonight my daughter opened a present from my childhood best friend and her husband. It was an American Girl doll rollerboard suitcase, an outfit with shoes, a fox purse and little metal renditions of an iPhone, iPad and Mac that were quite heavy.   There was an old style SLR camera that clicked.   She liked it all.   She was going to open up another present but got very tired and fell asleep after me telling her no more presents until her room was clean.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son's school has been canceled for tomorrow.   There is a family who was exposed to someone with COVID-19.   They are being tested and will isolate for fourteen days, regardless of the results.  There was more than one child at the school and even though every classroom has its own HVAC system, there is no interaction between classes or teachers, doors and windows are open if at all possible, hands are sanitized many times a day and are washed just as many, masks are always worn unless eating and other protocols the school has in place that I'm not remembering right now, because of the exposure, school is closed tomorrow.   The administration is working with the health department and will make a decision on what to do next.   My son didn't have any of the siblings in his class so I feel quite safe that we're not at risk from that particular family exposure.   I am glad the school is being cautious though. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was out on the play structure today, sitting across from Nora, doing Barbie and American Girl Doll things.   I couldn't tell what they were doing, but they seemed to be having lots of fun.   

No comments:

Post a Comment