Sunday, December 1, 2019

Moving Out

We're moving out tomorrow...sort of.   We're having the floors refinished on the main floor of the house which means we have to have no furniture at all on the floors so that they can be sanded a bit and then have a new topcoat put on them.

There are a few places that need more than a single coat, most notably the area right in front of the sink where more people stand around, shuffling their feet as they do dishes than any other area of the house.   Then there is the master bedroom which is being stripped down to the sub-floor and new hardwood added.   That part will need several coats.  

There were things to do—lots of things to do—but I was off at a girl's overnight.   When I got in this morning around 10:30 AM my mother- and father-in-law were already at the house, ready to do things I hadn't even thought about getting done.

They started moving things to the basement or second floor that could easily be moved.  They cleared off some surfaces and just placed them on other surfaces on the main floor.   They were basically all over the job.   They knew more about what was going on than I did.  

They made it easy, the whole job, getting most things moved into the garage for the week.   We have more to more tomorrow (like our bed) but we'll have to wait until the morning after the children are off to school.   I'll have to pack up our personal things tomorrow as well.   My mother-in-law has her house ready to have us stay for several weeks.   They're just the best.  

What My Son Said: My son was playing a world-building game in which he was doing all sorts of omnipotent actions.   He kept saying to me, "I'm populizing the world."  I told him he was 'populating' the world.   He said he liked his word better.

What My Daughter Said:  I put her hair up in twisted pigtail buns the other day.   I said to her, "your hair is shaped like cinnamon buns, here, feel!"  My daughter, sounding much older than her eight years, said, "ooh, that's a really good metaphor."

No comments:

Post a Comment