Monday, December 9, 2019

On No, The Cabinet Doors!

The full family is home today, including the dog, after staying with my in-laws for a week while the hardwoods were worked on in our home.   Each of the family members had a different response to the change that in some cases I could have predicted but in other cases, I couldn't have.

My son was the one person I would have bet money on was my son.  He just doesn't like change.  when he came in today he was already preparing to mourn the loss of the carpet in our master.   In fact, on the way home from school when I was telling him what to expect when he walked in the house, he told me we needed to get a green rug for the master—in the same color green as our prior carpet—and have it about room-sized in dimensions.   We should get that now and have it put down in our master straight away.

And although he didn't like the room initially, it grew on him by the end of the day and he even found a positive aspect when he got swish on the floor.   He's not allowed to swish in the bedroom for that very reason, but when it happened tonight we just wiped it up—and told him he still wasn't allowed to swish in the bedroom even if Uncle Jonathan had come over and he wanted to impress him.

My daughter wasn't overly into or against the hardwoods aside from being interested in how room transitions were more difficult for her to determine since there wasn't the change of material under her feet.   What was interesting with her was her immediate noticing of something I didn't expect.   She came in the door and on the way to put her backpack up she said, "Oh no!  The cabinet doors are missing!"  She had realized the first one was gone and before I could say anything she'd moved to the drawers above and then the next cabinet over.

This, I thought, was a seeing thing and yet my son hadn't even remarked on it.   I told my daughter the cabinet doors and drawer facings from some of the kitchen and bathroom cabinets had been taken by a company to do repairs.   She felt along down the row of cabinets, checking what had been sent away.  

My husband had a nice response, saying, "it looks like they've always been here" when he saw the master finished for the first time.   I agree.   It has an interestingly different feel in the room that's somehow warmer while being cooler feeling from an atmosphere perspective.  

The dog I'm a bit surprised about.   She doesn't take to change well, but I thought she'd like having nice cool floors under the bed where she likes to lie.   She went straight upstairs and hid under my daughter's bed.   There is still some smell, so it could be that.   Tonight she's on the bed with me, which she never does for more than a few minutes.   She might be the biggest holdout in the family when it comes to the new floors.

What My Son Said Tonight:  My son wanted to play four square with us tonight.   A few minutes he found me in the closet and said, "Do you want to know a fact?"  I told him I most definitely did.   He said, "One hundred percent of people who are my dad has absolutely no control over their phones."  I think he couldn't distract my husband away from his phone to play ball.   I laughed so much when he said it though, I told him to go straight to dad and tell him exactly what he told me.   My husband can definitely get lost in his phone.

Who My Daughter Read To Today:  Uncle Jonathan came over to help move some furniture today and decided to stay for dinner.  I asked him if he was available to be read to by my daughter for her homework (read to an adult for fifteen minutes every day).   My daughter was all up for someone else listening to her read.   It also gives you a chance to see her read braille close up and watch her fingers track across the page and how she keeps her place from line to line.   She's getting faster and faster and her reading is beginning to be predictive  and have appropriate and interesting intonation.

No comments:

Post a Comment