Saturday, December 7, 2019

What We Thought We Knew

My daughter had a half-day of school today.   Earlier in the year school had been canceled in case a hurricane came our way, well before it was known if the hurricane was coming our way.  We had some rain, no heavier than any typical rainstorm when the hurricane picked a path far away from us, but since school was canceled in advance, we just spent the day at home.   Today was her makeup day, on a Saturday.

After school, we went to a Scandanavian festival with my daughter's retired braillest.  We always enjoy catching up with her.   She and I ate lots of different foods (Mrs. Aagaard and I are fond of trying all the food options we can fit on our plates.). My daughter ate mashed potatoes and meatballs and then we looked at the items for sale and met my in-laws and son when they arrived.

We left and headed to see Frozen II.   My son and I have been listening to the music from the movie for the past three days as we drove from place to place, making guesses about what would happen in the movie based on the song lyrics and who was singing what.   Today, when we saw the movie, we sat beside each other and commented quietly about what we thought we knew, what we got right—and what we were totally wrong about from listening to the songs before seeing the movie.

My husband doesn't like to know anything about a movie before seeing it on account of he doesn't like to have anything spoiled for him beforehand.  I've never minded that and, for me, I liked knowing the songs before they came on in the movie.  I think it made the movie more enjoyable, knowing the music and songs when they came on, getting excited because songs we liked were coming up and we were going to find out what they meant within the context of the movie.

I had high expectations for the movie.  The amount of resources and talent put towards the movie made it an almost sure win.   And I wasn't disappointed.  My son, after getting home this evening, has had Alexa playing the movie music over and over while he plays Roblox on the Xbox with the volume off.

From two rooms away I'm enjoying hearing the music playing too.   My daughter, before falling asleep in the room with my son, was singing along to the new songs.   I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot of the soundtrack over the coming weeks.

The Big Boy Update:  I created a Roblox account tonight and got in a game with my son tonight.  He had a lot of fun being the high-level character, showing me around.   I didn't get very far, but I had fun playing with him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter's class had pajamas day at school for the Saturday half-day.   We had a packed day with events happening one after another which meant she wore Christmas pajamas to the Scandanavian festival and then to see Frozen II.   It didn't bother her at all and no one seemed to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment