Thursday, December 12, 2019

Holiday Help

You would think moving out of our house for a week wouldn't take that long to move back in from, but every time I think I'm done more shows up that needs to be done.   Today we had another thing happening at the house: the delivery of the cabinet doors and drawers from the kitchen and master bathroom.  We had some of them refinished that had sustained wear and damage.

I wouldn't have thought this would be much of an impact on the drawers and cabinet contents, but in that respect, I was wrong.  To remove the drawer facings, they had to remove content that blocked their ability to get to the attachment hinges and screws.   We had separators in a lot of the drawers and with their removal, the contents now need to be sorted back into their spaces.  This brought to my attention the nine years of debris that had snuck down between the areas of the separators.   Everything will be nice and clean when it's done, but it's going to take a bit to get all the drawers cleaned and put back together.

The workers took things out of drawers and cabinets that were in the way and put them here and there.  When they were done today I had a collection of things that I wasn't altogether sure where to put.   It's interesting how you don't realize the stuff you have until it's all spread out in front of you and then you wonder what you were keeping that thing for or, wow, I didn't even remember I had that.  Or even, "Hey, I thought I lost that thing!"

There's a lot to finish tidying up in the kitchen and master bath, but the good news is the cabinets look very nice.  I'm glad we got them done.   I will miss the mars in the kitchen cabinets all at the same height, where my children banged into them with the glider they both spent a lot of time in when they were babies.

And then there's Christmas.   Gah!  We have a friend's present swap here at our house tomorrow night and I had not a single decoration up, save for my daughter's heavily laden tree outside.   In the hope to get some things done today, I messaged my children's sitter to see if she would be up for some decorating help.   She came over and saved the day.  She worked with me and at this point tonight, I'm tired, but my part of the holiday decorating is pretty much done.  

My husband is getting a tree tomorrow and when the children get home they'll put on the ornaments.   We missed out the window to get a tree together as a family this year, but we can do that next year.   Presents.   Presents!  Fortunately, I'd ordered and had most of our presents here at the house before we moved out.   Only nothing is wrapped.   Morgan, our sitter, to the rescue again because tomorrow she's coming over to help me get it all wrapped up in time for the party tomorrow night.

I'm going to have a nice long nap, just like Santa does, once Christmas is over.

The Big Boy Update:  My son's birthday was yesterday but we joined him in his class today to share lunch with them today.   We brought cookies for the students for dessert and then my son presented his class with two books, one of the planets and the other one about space and the space missions and satellites.   The students all wanted to look at the books when we opened them up.   I wanted to look at them too, they had some beautiful pictures and diagrams.   My son loves space and the planets.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter's teacher called today after school.   She thought a call would be better than an email.   My daughter is having troubles again with attitude.   Specifically, she's being very direct and unkind to her VI friend.   She has a preferred friend, so preferred they should probably be separated, but that doesn't mean she should be rude and dismissive of other friends.   She's burning bridges and hurting feelings.   Her teacher and I talked about what she was planning to do to address it, which I agreed with, and I talked about how we would try to support at home modelling better wording with friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment