Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Acceptance Begins

There is some evidence my daughter is starting to accept her blindness.   It's in little things: something she told her VI teacher or thing she wrote at school.   It could be in how she's talking to people and not being upset when they ask her about her cane or that she enjoyed being the center of attention at her brother's class or having Theo over to show off her braillewriting skills.   

It could be a lot of things, or it could be none of them.   We're still not sure.   Today, after talking with my daughter and with me, her psychaitrist decided to increase my daughter's medication by a small amount.   This is based on things my daughter has said, things I said and, bottom line, what my daughter asked for.  

She says the "happy pill" is helping, but only so much.   I asked her a lot of questions today on the way to the doctor's office and she said she was happier, but not happy like she was when she was three.   Which is singular, because three was the last time she could see.   I don't know if she picked that age at random because I don't think her memory is accurate back that amount of time.   But who knows.   She brought home this timeline she had made at school which lists events she thinks are key in her life:


The Big Boy Update:  My son likes listening to comedians and recently my mother suggested we check out two she thought my son would like.   He liked her suggestions and we got a good bit of comedy in over the next wee while in the car.   At some point my son was having a conversation with another, older child and wanted to impress him with the comedians he knew.   He fired off at me, "Mom, who is that guy from the last century?"  I said, "I think you mean Bob Newhart".  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: We had a quick conference with my daughter's teacher today and found out things were very, very bad for the first part of the year.   My daughter was emotionally completely unstable in school and would meltdown regularly.   She was also rude and said unkind things to friends and acted like she didn't care.  This was that internal anger that was manifesting because she was realizing she was going to be stuck being blind.    We had no idea it was that bad.   I wish we'd understood it sooner.   I hate it for her teachers as well as for my daughter.   Everyone agrees things are going a lot better now.  I hope they continue that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment