Saturday, November 30, 2019

Goodbye Sunshine

My husband got his Christmas present today.   I suggested it but initially he wasn't interested.   We have a refrigerator in the garage.   We use it for overflow from the kitchen and store things in the freezer we don't use as regularly.   Or in the case of my husband, for his collection of meats. 

We were always out of space in the refrigerator, which had a lot of room taken up by an icemaker that no longer worked.  And then there was the leaking.   The unit was working, but a dark, crude oil like ooze rolled out from under it regularly, making me question how much longer the unit would be functional. 

I had gotten the refrigerator when I purchased my second home.  It was white, which was the "in" color in 1997.   It was my main refrigerator for that house, sat in the garage for the next house do to size restrictions but then returned as the main kitchen unit when I bought the next house.   When my husband and I built the house we're currently in, we got a stainless steel refrigerator and the white one went for round two in the garage. 

I met my husband out after lunch earlier this week for some refrigerator shopping.   Once we were looking at units he decided it might actually be a good idea to upgrade, and by the end of the day selected and purchased one.   

Today was delivery day.  Last night he pulled out all the contents of the old refrigerator and crammed them into our kitchen one, placing any overage in coolers until the morning.  He was ready when they arrived to take away our old unit and then install/connect the new one.   I was in the kitchen eating breakfast when my husband sent me this picture from the garage saying, "Goodbye sunshine."


The wooden hand-painted sun has been on the refrigerator for the majority of years I've owned it.   It was part of a gift my friend, Harmony, made.   I didn't know what to do with it so I affixed it to the refrigerator.   And I just never took it down.   I haven't seen Harmony in years and years but it always reminded me of her when I saw the sun.

What My Son Did Today:  No food outside of the kitchen.  This has been a long-standing rule that food stays in food areas.   I came in today to find my son sitting on the living room ottomon—that I bought less than a week ago—with an open can of soda sitting on the material, leaving a sweat ring.  I turned off the television and told him no more soda (well, in this case it was a seltzer) for a while. 

What My Daughter Wants to Do Today:  My daughter and her friend want to put hair chalk on.   This would be fine if they did it outside and my daughter didn't do three hundred headstands a day (it's her new thing, she is doing a headstand most of the time she's not engaged in something else.   I'm not exaggerating on the three hundred.).  It's starting to rain.  Maybe they can do it and then okay outside in the rain until it washes out?  Or maybe a warm bath.  

No comments:

Post a Comment