Thursday, December 5, 2019

Ten Years

I didn't write this post last night, I'm writing it this morning and changing the posting time to make it look like I wrote this last night.  Last night I had gone upstairs to read my daughter a story and for some reason when I finished reading (I was sitting on the floor at the time) I just leaned over on my lap and fell asleep.

I woke up twenty minutes later with both legs in that throbbing painful half-asleep, half-awake state.  I stumbled downstairs, flopped into the bed and made moaning sounds coupled with incoherent words about my legs being asleep when my husband came in a short bit later.   He and my father-in-law had been playing a game with my son, who wasn't yet in bed.   I asked my husband if he could get my laptop from the car so I could write my blog post, thanked him when he gave it to me a few minutes later and then fell asleep holding the laptop bag.

When I woke up a bit later I deposited the bag on the floor, turned off the light and decided it would be pointless to write a blog post at the time as it would be rife with typos and would have a high probability it would be mostly nonsense.

Yesterday was a rather special day because it was my husband and my ten year wedding anniversary.   We were joking the day before about what ten years was in the anniversary gifts by year list.  We don't exchange gifts for most things like birthdays, Valentine's Day or anniversaries.   I broke the tradition though and had gotten him a card.

I rarely give cards for anything outside of teacher gifts or thank you notes.  Unexpectedly, I'd seen a funny anniversary card a few weeks ago.   The fact that I remembered it for yesterday was surprising, even to me.   When I told my husband about the card (he'd been awake for a while and hadn't noticed it propped up on his nightstand) he said, "I didn't get you anything!"  I told him maybe what we're getting each other for our anniversary is hardwood floors in the master.   He agreed it sounded like a good idea and that perhaps the tenth anniversary was the "wood year" anyways.

Our day was rather like normal, aside from being moved in with my in-laws, who have been exceptionally gracious hosts.   I'm afraid our children and dog aren't going to want to come back home.

For dinner, they had an all-out, no topping missing, taco dinner.   The adults had margaritas.   My son stole a lot of the salt from around my glass rim but didn't want to try the drink as he said, "it would be illegal" since he was underaged.

We'll be with my in-laws for a few more days while the polyurethane dries at our house.   My husband and I have been in our basement a lot (which is where I'm writing this post from now).   I'm looking forward to being fully home though.

What My Son Said:  It happened.  My son has gotten to the age where I embarrass him.   For some reason, this makes me smile because it means he's growing up.   Yesterday when I was dropping him off for school I was saying something like how handsome he was or that I loved him as he was getting out of the car.   He quickly got out of the car and said as he departed, "Mom! Stop being a weirdo!"

What My Daughter Said:  While playing with my mother at her house this past weekend, suddenly my daughter said, "could we go rest on your bed?"  My mother said they could.   They both laid on her bed and decided my mother would tell a story.   My daughter said she didn't want the story to be about her, so my mother said she'd tell a story about me.  My daughter said, "okay but don't tell the story about the bean up mom's nose, because I know that one."  So my mother told a story about a car we called, "shake and bake" when I was young because it was old, shuddered when you drove it and had no airconditioning so you "baked" in it during the summer.   When she was done with the story, my daughter said, "okay, now we can go back and play."  My mother thought about what had just happened.   She knew my daughter wasn't tired, but my daughter knew Mimi needed to take a rest every now and then.   Was she asking to take that rest break to help my mother?   Was it from empathy?  My daughter has a lot of empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment