Sunday, February 24, 2019

The Candy Stash

My husband left to go skiing for a week this morning.  He arrived and has talked to the children and they’re now both in bed.   Lunches are made, the house is clean and I’m here writing this blog post.   My daughter and I had a nice day today, working on some braille in the bonus room for a while before friends on the street came over to play outside—which was quite something to behold after five days of straight rain here.   The sun came out and the children were sent outside by all the parents on the street.   Since my children haven’t had a chance to play with any of their friends in close to two weeks due to the flu, they were very glad to see their friends again.

I continued to stay up in the bonus room, working through the huge pile of braille work my daughter had completed from school back even into December.   I read through all the work she does at school as a point of review and practice for my braille study.   I can use the work, it’s getting easier and faster to read braille, but it’s still a lot of dots on the page a good portion of the time until I get back into reading after a break.

My son came in at one point this afternoon to tell me had I heard about my daughter’s, “candy stash” in their room?  I had heard about it but hadn’t really looked into it.   Mostly it’s fueled by her friends when they come over I think.   They take candy out of the candy bowl I keep on a high shelf in the mud room and they were putting it somewhere.   My son had found that somewhere and told me I should check it out.

Tonight he reminded me about it and he was right, it was a pretty impressive collection of candy and wrappers in one of the drawers in their bathroom.   I removed some of it but left some.   My daughter likes candy but doesn’t eat too much typically, forgetting about candy even after going to the candy store usually the next day.

I was impressed with the collection though.  I think if I had a candy stash like that in my room as a child I wouldn’t have been able to control myself and it wouldn’t have remained a candy stash for long at all.

The Big Boy Update:  My son didn’t want to go outside and play initially and said there was nothing to do, so I suggested some different things.   Unexpectedly, he wanted to work with the colored corn starch packing pellets to make some art.   I’ve typically made things with them in a two-dimensional fashion but I came in after ten minutes and was surprised to see him building things in three dimensions.   He made more than one page, the one pictured below is an island theme with a snake (suggested by Aunt Margaret when he asked, “what else can I make that’s green?”). The other sheet had a house, picnic table with benches and a man holding a dog on a leash.



The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  As I was drying my daughter’s hair tonight she was playing with the dog and asked me, “are dogs ticklish?”  I told her I didn’t know so she did the obvious next thing to do if you’re seven-years-old and live in today’s era: she asked Alexa.   Alexa told us scientists don’t really know if dogs are ticklish but they do have something called the, “scratch reflex” that gets triggered when we’re scratching them and they suddenly lift their leg and start to scratch along with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment