Monday, February 25, 2019

Grown-up Hot Dog Soup

When I was young my father, or was it my mother, made something called Hot Dog Soup.   I loved it.  It had potatoes and little slices of hot dogs in it and it was creamy and I always loved it when they made it.  

When I got older and moved into my own place I remember my mother made me some recipe cards of things I could make that would be easy for someone in college who was out on their own for the first time.   One of the recipes was for Hot Dog Soup.   It was easy: a can of Campbell’s potato soup, some cream and hot dogs.   Add all three into a pot, heat and you were set.

I made it a lot when I was younger but it’s been a long time since I’ve made it at this point.   My mother has been cooking for us as a welcome home present of late.   When I got back from Cancun she said she was making Zuppa Toscana soup and did I want some?   This is a recipe that matches the soup offered by Olive Garden.   It’s my favorite soup there and my mother’s version is just is good and possibly better.   "Of course I’d take some," I told her.

Tonight at nine-thirty when I’d gotten the children in bed and finally had time to eat dinner I warmed up a bowl of her soup.   As I sat there eating this creamy potato soup with mild sausage I realized it had a taste not unlike hot dog soup—only more grown up in flavors.

The Big Boy Update:  My mother watched the children tonight while I took the dog to dog training class.   When I got home my mother told me my son had asked her, “how much does my mom pay you to watch us?”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got home close to five o’clock but she was still ready for music lesson with Chelsea.   She ran over next door to find Madison and then asked Chelsea if Madison could join in the music lesson.   I heard Madison say as the three of them went upstairs, “I just love music."

No comments:

Post a Comment