Friday, February 1, 2019

Death Cream

My children are very good sleepers.   They don’t expect or even want to sleep with us, but sometimes things happen in the middle of the night and a child comes downstairs to our room.   For a period of time it was my daughter saying she’d wet the bed.  Good news in that with the low dose antibiotic that specifically targets her kidneys and bladder, she hasn’t had any incidents at night.

Sometimes my son would come down and have a hand that was, “tickly hand”.  He’d fallen asleep on his arm and needed help to work through the waking up and pain of a limb coming back into feeling. This also happened in a while though.   That leaves nightmares.

Both children have them sometimes.   They’ll come down and wake my husband or me up.   We tell the child to get into bed and ask if they want to talk about the dream?   Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. Then, after a few minutes have passed, we walk them back upstairs or they go on their own.  They want to go back to their beds, they’re the most comfortable there.

Last night my daughter had a nightmare that she did want to talk about.   Usually she’s the one that just needs to feel safe but doesn’t have a need to talk it through.   This nightmare scared her a lot though.   She said her brother had a cream he was trying to rub on her that would kill her.   She said she kept wiping it off but he kept putting more on.   I told her that definitely sounded like a scary dream.

And then I must have fallen back asleep almost immediately because the next thing I knew it was hours later and she was gone.   She’d gone back upstairs all by herself.   I like when one of them gets into bed much.   It’s a very sweet time in the middle of the night, giving them a hug and making sure they feel safe and loved.

The Big Boy Update:   At the pediatrician’s annual wellness check she asked my son if he was feeling okay and if he had any concerns.   He said, “I’m okay, I have 900 hearts.”   We laughed and told him there were no respawns in life though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Mimi was explaining double negatives to my daughter the other day.   She asked her, “what would it mean if I said, ‘I don’t want to not go?’”  My daughter thought about it and then said, “it means you want to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment