Saturday, May 19, 2018

Uncluttered Perspective

I got a necklace in the mail today.   I had ordered it a while back.   I had hoped it would look in person like the pictures did online and when I opened the package, I was pleased to see it did in fact look the same.

The necklace was too long so I did a few iterations of chain length reduction to get it to a length that would hang right on my neck.   I’m not much of a jewelry person, but I thought this particular necklace would be fun.    There were flat, round discs connected in a sequence.   If one flipped over it would drag the neighboring ones with it.    But if I shortened the chain so it was tighter around my neck, there was less play in the necklace and the discs didn’t have an opportunity to flip over.

I got ready to go out to celebrate Uncle Jonathan’s birthday tonight, wearing my new necklace.   I thought my son might like it.   I wondered what he’d think about the necklace because I think I got it thinking of him more than anyone.

After I put it on I found him in the bonus room and asked him, “what do you think of my new necklace”?


He didn’t disappoint me at all.   He glanced over and said, “it’s a bunch of planets”.   He saw the solar system immediately.   He didn’t see it as jewelry but as representations of each planet.    They have an uncluttered perspective on things.   He came over and looked at the necklace and told me which one was each planet, as well as the sun.    Then he went back to the Legos.

The Big Boy Update:  For Uncle Jonathan’s birthday my son drew a picture of either himself or Uncle Jonathan.   It’s hard to tell.   He wrote, “Happy Birth Day” on the page and then told me he wanted to give him his chain.   This chain is a gold chain about a third of an inch in diameter.   It’s been something my son has had for a while but wanted to share.   Uncle Jonathan wore the chain all night at dinner.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wrote Uncle Jonathan a very nice birthday card in braille that I translated.    She did some drawing that is nigh impossible to tell what is.   Then she selected a heart, ‘LOVE’ plush and a tiny Mickey Mouse, “with a hook” she said, so he could hook it onto his things.

No comments:

Post a Comment