Sunday, May 13, 2018

It Was Mother’s Day And…

…I was going to sleep in.   But you know how that goes with young children—it doesn’t happen.   Although, in this case it was my alarm that woke me up.   I had pressed the snooze button and was trying to maximize those nine minutes with more sleep while at the same time trying to wake up because I’d told my best friend I was available to run.  

About that time my daughter came to the edge of the bed and sweetly told me she had made me a Mother’s Day card.   I wasn’t fully awake and told her if I could have just a few more minutes to sleep I would come find her so she could read (or translate) her drawing/writing to me.

I did get up and made it to the run, which turned out to be a walk because my best friend had injured her ankle.   Just before I left I asked my daughter to read her card to me.   It included cake, which looked delicious in grey sharpie.

After the run, er, walk, we went as a family to get smoothies and then to get vegetables and herbs for the garden my husband is working on creating with the children on our deck.  My daughter wanted to grow carrots while my son wanted jalapeño and poblano peppers.   My son doesn’t like jalapeño peppers, but that’s what he wanted.   We picked out some things for me to plant for my Mother’s Day present from the children.   The real present will be when my husband gets the drip system set up so we don’t have to water things every day.

This afternoon Nana and Papa came to town and took the children to the pool while my husband prepared to make Butter Chicken for dinner.  When they got back we all sat down to dinner and then spent a good bit of time as my children explained all the Mother’s Day things they’d made for me in their classes (plus any other crafts they’d made recently).   Then they presented Nana with their cards, reading or braille-reading what they’d written and describing what they’d drawn in the pictures.

As we finished dinner, cousin Kyle, on his way from Florida heading home to home in New Jersey after finishing his year of college, stopped in to spend the night before the second half of his drive tomorrow.   Everyone was happy to see Kyle, including Nana and Papa, who left to drive home soon after.

All around it was a nice Mother’s Day with sun, family, a little bit of exercise, and fun.

The Big Boy Update:  For Mother’s Day my son wanted to play a new song he’d created on the piano.  He played a very slow, discordant and yet positionally symmetrical song.   After his sister played something he wanted to do a second song.   This time he sang as he played and although he was quiet I could hear the words which were all about a child who didn’t have parents and was sad.   After he finished playing he wanted us to know the names of his songs were, “Oh No” and “No More Mother”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:    My daughter is finished with her bladder infection antibiotics and is having no more itching or other issues.   When I was giving her the medicine the other day she remarked, “‘bladder’ is a very interesting word.   Maybe a little inappropriate.  I bet it wold hurt if someone stepped on your bladder.”

No comments:

Post a Comment