Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Open It To See It

My daughter wanted to get a present for her Braillest at school.   She told me Mrs. Aagaard had two cats.   My daughter likes cats.   I think she would love to have a cat that would sit on her lap and let her pet it.   We have friends with cats and she knows cats like cat toys.

I pulled out my iPad and described to her what the different sorts of cat toys were that we could get for Mrs. Aagaard.   They came yesterday.    These toys are a stick with some feathers, some flexible straw mesh and tiny pompoms on the end.   If you saw the picture you’d understand what I’m trying to describe—and that’s the key point to my post here.   You’d “see” what I’m talking about.

When we get a gift for someone we typically leave it in the wrapping/container it comes in.   The person being given the gift gets to open the package as part of the gifting process.   The cat toy came in clear, crinkly plastic.  I could see it clearly, but if I closed my eyes and felt it, I could tell virtually nothing other than there was a hard stick at one end and some less-hard stuff at the other.

My daughter sees through feeling.   She sees with her hands.   So we opened Mrs. Aagaard’s cat toy, my daughter felt it all over and then she put it back in the wrapping.   She was excited about giving Mrs. Aagaard the toys for her cats this morning.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Thank You’s In Progress:  My children got a surprise gift in the mail from their Aunt A yesterday.   They opened up the package to find a bag for each of them with lots of fun things inside.   Among the collection was slime which has had many experiments performed on it so far.   They want to write Aunt A thank you notes.   My son was about to get started when the doorbell rang and he decided writing a story book with his friend, Rayan, was going to have to take top priority for the afternoon.   My daughter was very interested though and must have called out fifteen or more words for me to spell for her as she wrote her letter.   She’s finished with the letter but I’m going to have to get some translation help to write it in print for Aunt A.   Next she’s going to work on a drawing on the paper.   My son may get back on task tomorrow, we’ll see how it goes.    Thanks for the summer surprise package, Aunt A!

No comments:

Post a Comment