Wednesday, May 16, 2018

I Wish I Had My Cane

My daughter typically doesn’t want her cane.   Or rather she didn’t want it when we offered it to her in situations away from the house for a long time.   Recently though she’s started to trust and rely on the information her cane gives her, and as a result she has been wanting to have the cane with her more often.

Today she had a day off from school as the school system’s teachers were rallying downtown for more funding for education.   We signed my daughter up for a day camp at the rock club near us.   When we were getting in the car this morning I thought about her cane but since all we were doing was getting out of the car to go into the building before she would put the cane away, I didn’t think she had much of a need.

I got out on the driver’s side of the car when we arrived and she exited the passenger’s side.   I went to the trunk to get something and I heard her fall.    My daughter stumbled on the curb, just about the only thing she could have had an issue with on the very short walk in.    I came around the car to find her squatting down, holding her palms up with tears dripping on the ground already.  

She didn’t scrape her hands, just hit them hard, but the impact hurt.   As I looked over her hands she said in a sobbing voice, “I wish I had my cane.”  

The Big Boy Update:  Sometimes children say the most random things.   It is at these times that I never have my phone with me.    My son sat down to dinner this even and announced, “Dad, Mom?  I don’t really think about grass that much.”   I said I’d be back and went to get my phone.   My son knew I was writing down what he said for my blog and helpfully informed me it must be that when I don’t have my phone, he and his sister say things adults find funny.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  When we arrived at the rock club this morning I went to the counter to check my daughter in.   I heard a child come over and greet my daughter enthusiastically.   Lexi, a fifth-grader, was in the rock climbing camp with my daughter during the last track-out.   She really enjoyed spending time with my daughter and they became fast friends.   I was happy to see Lexi too, not realizing she would be in the same day camp.   I hope we see her again.   My daughter loves rock climbing and wants to go back next track-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment