Wednesday, May 9, 2018

I’m Sure Dad Has It Covered

I picked my son up from school today and asked him if he wanted to run a fun errand with me.   We had the last scheduled meeting at our house this afternoon for the Head of School search committee for a while.   We needed to meet off campus and needed a location we could Skype as a group.   Our basement worked well for the Skyping and proved to be convenient in location to the school so we kept convening here.

For my husband and me it was easy; we like entertaining.   We had someone handle the food which left drinks and snacks all we needed to coordinate.   Before each event we would set up some things to eat and drink in the basement and be ready for people to arrive.    After about the fifth time we had it down.  

So this afternoon when I picked up my son from school I asked him if he’d like to help me out by going to Whole Foods to select some cookies to get for the meeting.   And get this—he said he didn’t like cookies.   That’s right, cookies.   I think he just wanted to get home and play with his friends but since the cookies needed to be bought, he went along somewhat reluctantly with me.

When we got into the store I thought he’d be excited by the cookies but instead wanted to know what the gelato was behind the glass display.   Since he didn’t want a cookie I told him he could have some gelato instead.   He picked lemon sorbet and cookies and cream—together.   Which sounded like a flavor clash to me but he liked it quite a lot.

After eating his gelato we got into the car and I realized people were arriving at our home in forty-five minutes.   I must have sounded worried but my son wasn’t.   He said, “don’t worry, mom, I’m sure dad has it covered.”   And sure enough, dad did.

The Big Boy Update:   Tonight my daughter was distraught after lights were out for bed.   She wanted a story from Alexa but was told it was too late by dad.   She was so upset.   Instead of lashing out at her like my son has done in the past he opened the door and called down to me saying, “mom, I think you need to come up, Reese really needs you.”  I gave him a big hug and thanked him for making sure his sister was okay.   I sat on the bed to talk to her and he got on the bed too, giving her a hug while she cried.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been telling me I get to go to her class tomorrow for a Mother’s Day celebration.   It’s a good thing she’s always correct with information because not only was she correct, she told us where to look to find the information on one of the online resource spots for parents.   Tomorrow I’ll find out what she and her class have planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment