Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Grenana

The Big Boy Imaginary Country:
My son has his own country.  It’s named Grenana. He helped me with the spelling because he studies geography in school and I thought he was talking about Granada.  No, that wasn’t it, this was a special country, he told me, who's name is made up of his name (Greyson) and Nana's.

He’s been bringing up Grenana from time to time over the last week or two.   They have a flag and their own language, he told me one day.  He launched into a long slew of 'fa la ba la' syllables to show me he could speak it.  A few days later he told me the laungage of Grenana had a name and was called, 'Grain'.

But not all inhabitants of Grenana are equal.  “Oh, it's an island mom, did I tell you that?”, he informed me in the car.  “There's a lot of tech on one side and the other side is full of primitive people.”   I asked him if he meant primitive or poor.   He said he meant like cavemen.  Like when The skeleton of Lucy was found.

They must have hit on this at school recently because he came home and wanted to know about The Lucy cavemen.   I asked him if he meant Lewis Leakey's discovery of a skeleton?  I told him they all weren’t Lucy, just that particular one they found was nicknamed that.  I asked if he wanted to see a picture of what they found and he was excited.  I remember hearing about it when Lucy was discovered during my childhood.   I also remember being very disappointed when I saw the meager few bones, so I prepared my son.    But he liked the skeleton nonetheless, I think.

I got off the subject of Grenana.  I’ll let you know more as developments come in on this new nation my son's discovered.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter knows her environment well in our house.  How she was half-way up the basement stairs and slammed her forehead into the handrail I don’t known.  It was darkish, but she doesn’t rely on light.   I heard the sound and jumped up, running to find her.   She got two dents in her head in the shape of the railing but seemed okay dater she stopped crying and the ice pack was no longer needed.   She is very good at dealing with pain.  I hate that she has to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment