Tuesday, May 9, 2017

When Pictures Make You Laugh

My son has a journal at school.   Each day he writes the date and day in cursive, fully written out, and then something else about the day—if he has any hand strength left.    Apparently he can also draw a picture if he’s in the mood and there’s enough time.   Every few weeks he brings home his journal.   Sometimes he wants to tell us about the entries, sometimes he has little to no interest.   Tonight he was all about his journal.

There were some good pictures, like the one that looked like intense blue scribble until he explained it was the rain that was coming down on the school and, upon closer inspection, we could see a dark outline of a building under all the dense blue lines.

Then there was a picture that had people in a house.   Here’s the picture:


I asked him who the people were.   He said, “the one on the left is daddy.   The one on the right is you, mommy, brushing your hair.    I’m in the middle playing video games.”   I asked him what that pink, orange and green was at the lower areas near dad.   He said, “that’s my sister when she was sick, lying on the floor with her blanket and that’s gatorade and her water bottle beside her.”  

Folks, that is totally our family.

The Big Boy Update:  My son asked me, “why aren’t our bodies invincible?”   If you think about it, that’s a pretty discouraging conversation to have with a six-year-old, although I think he took the reality check fairly well.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got a fortune cookie two days ago.   Her fortune was pretty much spot on, “your cheerful outlook is one of your assets.”

No comments:

Post a Comment