Saturday, May 6, 2017

The Laws of Physics

Sometimes children don’t understand things.   As adults we can understand their confusion and frustration, for example when they don’t see why they can’t have every single toy they want.   It’s our job as parents to help them navigate through a realistic world and be there for them when reality isn’t what they envisioned it to be.

My children are typically hungry at a point suddenly and without notice.   At these time it is imperative (to them) that hot, delicious, made to order food be delivered to them immediately.    Dealing with meal availability and readiness is something that continues to crop up.

I walked into the kitchen tonight where I saw my son at his dinner place, clearly unhappy and my husband at the stove, quietly working on making dinner.   As I walked in I heard my husband sad, “what did we say about boiling pasta?” to my son.   When all he got was a sullen, quiet response, dad followed up with, “that it has to obey the laws of physics.   And that means dinner won’t be ready for another twelve minutes.”

The Big Boy Update:  My son was mad.   At the point of writing this I don’t even remember what he was upset about but I do remember him saying to me in his hateful voice, “you’re gonna pay for that!”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter accepts help readily.   She almost always accepts your hand when you hold it out to her for guidance.   Lately she’s declined a few times.   I’d like to hope it’s due to her change in vision, but I might just be wishful thinking there.

No comments:

Post a Comment