Sunday, May 14, 2017

On The Loose

It’s Mother’s Day, a day we typically don’t heavily celebrate, but it is a fun thing for the children as they’ve been preparing something at school to bring home.   They also were excited because they were doing something special for me that was to be a complete surprise this morning, say around breakfast time, and could I please not come out of the bedroom until they told me it was ready?

My daughter came into the room to give me updates on how many of the “things” being prepared for the surprise were ready and how much longer I needed to wait.   I shouted out at one point to my husband saying, “can you turn the coffee machine on?” and eventually all of the surprises were ready and we had a very nice breakfast together as a family—even though my son had gotten up early and had poptarts he told us later.

My husband had a rare chance to go on a motorcycle ride with some friends so he was off for several hours, stopping into the office to pick up real estate checks, always the multi-tasker.   There was laundry to fold, dishes to put up, school lunches to be made and of course Sunday snacks and meals to be had.  I had some willing helpers, which was nice, until they got tired or bored or both.   But help is a good thing.

The children each made me something and gave it to me.   My daughter’s was a collage of flower petals we’ve hung on the refrigerator.   My son, who is a year older, wrote a page at school listing adjectives he thought described me.   Here’s what he brought home, and before you try and translate his still immature handwriting, we figured it out with his help.


First, no idea what the picture is about.   I think he forgot what he was drawing because it was a few days ago and he drew the picture the day before that.   The main part says, “fancy loose beautiful funny cozy silly cool heavy slippery sharp mom”.   We saw his teacher on Friday and she told us it was coming and wanted to let us know that when my son wrote ‘loose’ she wanted to let us know he told her, “as in ‘on the loose’”.  When I was putting my son to bed I asked him about the adjectives and he told me when he said, ‘cool’ he meant as in, “brrrr, cold”.  That still leaves no explanation for slippery or heavy though…

The Big Boy Update:  My mother-in-law was showing me a video from January when they were watching the children.  She had been feeding them lunch and my son was eating something looking like chicken noodle soup.   She asked him what it was he was eating and got back, “it’s so good I forgot.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is congested with a head cold.   Today she told me, “I think my nose is connected to my mouth.”  I asked her why she thought that and she replied, “because I just got a little mucous in my mouth from my nose.”

No comments:

Post a Comment