Monday, May 8, 2017

Swingset

We have a swing set.   Actually, I don’t think that’s what it’s called anymore.   There is a ladder, a slide, a rock wall, picnic table, sand pit and three swing spots.   My children and the neighbor’s children like to spend time on and around the structure.   It’s fun for me too as I like to swing on the swings—I’ve always loved swinging.

One of the things that keeps things interesting and exciting is switching out the attachments for the three swing spots.   We have a baby swing (which is rarely used) two saddle swings, a plank swing, two net swings. a rope ladder, a trapeze and a large four person canvas swing.   Moving the various options around and swapping them out seems to revitalize interest in the play set and since I like my children outside, interacting with their peers, I swap things out a lot.  

Today after school my daughter wanted to go to Wood Play to play on their play structures.   She doesn’t really understand it’s a store and not just another fun playground for her entertainment but since I was interested in the possibility of more options I told her we’d go after snack.  

We got there and she went (with guided help) to the trampoline.   This trampoline is one of the new kinds with the safety net all the way around.   I put her in and then took advantage of one of the things you can easily do with a blind child—I zipped her in and walked inside to talk to the sales person.

Does that sound mean?   She was safe in the trampoline and I knew she wouldn’t be able to see the zipper to get herself out quickly if she got bored (she didn’t) so I had a few minutes.    Ultimately we decided there weren’t any new options we didn’t already have so we headed home, after we’d tested out all the slides in the whole store.   My daughter had a great time and I still don’t think she understands we were at a store and the trip wasn’t entirely for her entertainment.

The Big Boy Update:  My son told us yesterday, “I know what I want to be for Halloween; I want to be the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is obsessed with spelling her name.   She does it all the time. Of late it’s cursive and backwards.   She likes to spell it out with her shoes in the dirt and with her fingers in the grass.   She also likes to spell ‘rooster’.   I’m not sure why she likes that word so much though.

No comments:

Post a Comment