Sunday, May 7, 2017

If Eyes Could Talk

My daughter’s vision is so confusing.   She doesn’t let us know what she can and can’t see on a daily, or in some cases even hourly basis.   Maybe that’s for the best because if she told us how it was fluctuating (negatively) I might not be able to maintain my calm grip on sanity.  The space between what you might imagine her vision is and what her vision actually is has become a deep, dark hole.   We just don’t know.

She should be seeing better, shows signs of seeing better and then, today, had all appearances of seeing far less than she was able to before.   She couldn’t see the car seat in the car or the seat in the second row.    She was using her hands instead of her eyes to find things.    Is it worse?  Or was she keeping her eyes closed some of the time because we forgot her sunglasses and she was blinded by the light?   I don’t know.  We couldn’t tell.  She didn’t say.

On June 6th my daughter will have another surgery, this time on her right eye, to open up the scar tissue preventing her from (potentially) seeing.   Will she be able to see anything after that?   We don’t know.   My biggest hope is for an accurate refraction while she’s under anesthesia so we can get her appropriate lenses in her glasses and hopefully so she’ll be able to see things a little more clearly.

The Big Boy Update:  My son did not want to go outside today.   He’d had a bit too much digital time so given the two options of spending time alone in his room or going outside, he opted for outside.   Only he didn’t really want to be there.   He stayed on the front porch and explained how he hated me and wanted to kill me.   I figured this meant he was hungry.   A granola bar and some orange juice and he happily ran off to play with the other children playing outside.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: My daughter prefers the +17 lenses.   I’ve offered the more powerful. +22 glasses multiple times but she always refuses.   Tonight after her bath I put the +22 glasses on without telling her, wondering if she could see better with them.   That test lasted only a few minutes with her becoming frustrated, saying she couldn’t see.    So good news in some part is her prescription is likely less than +22.

No comments:

Post a Comment