Monday, May 29, 2017

Steps and Green Lantern

The Big Boy Update:
My son likes superheroes.   No, that’s not correct, he loves superheroes.   He wants to be a superhero and more to the point, he wants us to buy him things related to superheroes, specifically video games.   This, he’s been told isn’t happening but he is welcome to purchase games with money he earns.    He’s been finding out earning money is a slow and arduous process which involves something called, “work” and he’s gotten petulant about the entire ordeal—which hasn’t bothered my husband or me in the slightest.

Today his obsession is Green Lantern.   Our children’s favorite sitter was over for several hours today and she helped my son make a Green Lantern ring based on some steps my son found on a YouTube video.  Cardboard, a green marker and a glue gun were required but when I returned home he had a functioning (via his imagination) Green Lantern ring.  

This not being enough, my son wanted me to help him build another Green Lantern ring by following another YouTube video using Lego pieces.    I sifted and plowed through all our pieces until I found the fifteen specific ones he needed.   We didn’t have one in green, but that wasn’t a problem my son informed me because he could just color the yellow piece green using a sharpie.    Five minutes later the yellow piece as well as my sons fingers were indeed green, enabling us to continue with the project.

Now, armed with not one but two Green Lantern rings, my son is an imaginary deadly foe in our household.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  
My daughter is currently very blind.   She can’t get to our next door neighbor’s without help because she gets turned around in open spaces.   Her peripheral vision is completely gone with the blocked right eye due to scar tissue (and questionable function) and the hematoma in her left eye blocking most of her field of vision.   But she’s accommodating.

She wanted to go to the swings in the back yard today.   I took her hand and walked out onto the porch and watched when we got to the steps.   She had let go of my hand after carefully feeling forward with her feet to find the start of the first step.    Then she progressed rather quickly down the steps to the bottom.  

I asked her, “do you know how many steps there are?”   I didn’t, I’d never bothered to count because I rely on my vision to tell me when I’m reaching the last step.   Without hesitation she responded, “seven”.   And yes, there were seven steps.    She’s coping and adapting in ways we don’t even appreciate as fully sighted people.   Every day she amazes me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment