Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Another Situation

My children are best friends.  Okay, they’re not.   They’re mortal enemies.   That’s not right either.   I think it’s best said they’re best friend mortal enemies.    Still, let’s not get choosy though, isn’t that the way it is with siblings?

I picked up the children after school today and informed them we’d go to one of their favorite restaurants, Chick-fil-a, for dinner if, and only if, they worked harmoniously together for the remainder of the afternoon.   I was watching them; I was taking notes; dinner was on the line.

To say they were friendly and kind to one another for the remainder of the day would be largely incorrect, but they tried and we did go to dinner, although it was later than I intended because we had visiting children in the house and their parents later on in the back yard.   I didn’t realize our neighbors didn’t know the latest with what had happened to my daughter’s vision so I found myself explaining in a quiet voice off to the side where I hoped my daughter couldn’t hear.

Eventually we extricated ourselves and left everyone else playing on our play structure.   We piled into the car and were on the way to dinner when my daughter and son got into it again.   I raised my voice and told them I could turn around if they were planning on arguing the whole way there.     My son turned to his sister and said to her, “I’m not going to talk anymore, I don’t want to get into another situation”.

The Big Boy Update:   My son asked me this afternoon, “mom, why do I have curly hair?”  I explained in simple terms about genetics and my curly hair.   He said back to me, “I don’t want curly hair”.    I told him he wasn’t the first child who didn’t like the things he’d been handed down.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter likes to play the sound spelling game.   She will say, “mom what does <insert letter sounds here> spell?”   She did a very long one tonight after dinner in the car and I told her I didn’t know what that said because it was so long.   She told me, “I was trying to spell, ‘I don’t see very well’”.   Folks, this is the first time she’s ever admitted she doesn’t see well.   She said it so nonchalantly, but in the front seat of the car I almost got choked up.


No comments:

Post a Comment