Sunday, May 28, 2017

Lenamade Stand

My daughter still insists on pronouncing ‘lemonade’ as ‘len-a-made’.   I’ve given up trying to correct her so today we had a Lenamade Stand instead of a Lemonade Stand.    My son had the idea a while back when he wanted to buy something and didn’t have enough money.   He first wanted to have a yard sale (he still does) including selecting toys of his he’s ready to sell.   When he found out that was a more complicated venture he settled on a lemonade stand instead.

I’m not sure how much money they thought they were going to make, but they were both interested.    We had two lemons last week and both children decided that was a clear sign we were ready for lemon-based commerce so I went back to the store, got a stack of lemons and told them we’d do it this weekend.

We had planned on tomorrow but real estate is commonly busy on holiday weekends and tomorrow got booked so today was the day.   My daughter and her good friend, Madison from next door, made two signs to put on our little child’s table.  They were colorful.   Lots of stickers were used.  Both girls liked their poster more than the other’s, which is interesting because my daughter couldn’t see either one at all.   But no matter, we had a table, chairs, a sign and were ready excepting the lemonade.

My husband got home and said he was thinking later in the afternoon and hey, wouldn’t it be nice to make cookies too?   He went back off to do some work while my daughter and I made brownies with cookies mixed in (terribly delicious, thank Duncan Hines).   Then we got to the lemon squeezing.

My son was busy he told us.   Was only interested in the bit where the sugar was added into the lemon juice and would it be possible to call him down when we got to that portion of the lemonade making?    I told him yes, but he ventured down early and ended up being a pretty big help in the whole process, telling his sister when she’d, “killed it” meaning when she’d gotten every last drop of lemon juice out of a particular half-lemon.

Lemonade chilling and brownie cookies cooling, we waited for my husband who got home and posted on our neighborhood Facebook page that our stand was open.    The children were pretty excited although their mood waned when they got hit with the hot heat of the day.    One bucket of ice later and they were renewed.

We were out a bit over an hour and had some friends and neighbors stop by.   We closed shop when we sold the last of the lemonade and the children got to eat the last two cookie brownies.    They counted their money ($4.20 each) when they got home.   I’m not sure what their plans are yet but I’m sure I’ll hear very soon from my son who’s wish list is longer than Route 66 has miles.

The Big Boy Update:  My son decided it would be good to get the playdoh out and make weapons and gear for his Lego characters.   He was upstairs for over an hour making all sorts of additions to his characters.   They’re drying in, on and around the figurines now.   I’ll find out tomorrow what it all means.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Roller skates.   That’s right, roller skates.   My in-laws gave my daughter roller skates two years ago for Christmas.   They bought them for her before she lost her sight and we didn’t know what her outcome visually would be so they gave them to her that Christmas.   She hasn’t spent much time with them but lately, in the past two weeks, she hasn’t stopped talking about them.   Today she’d had enough—she had to roller skate.   She was good at it, she told us.   She didn’t need our help and could we please just get them out of the garage from the shelf she couldn’t reach.   All day she put them on and off.   She put on the helmet and the knee protection and the wrist protection and she went all over the main floor—again and again.   She loves it.   She wanted me to leave it all out so she could go again tomorrow.    She had so many pratfalls today I think I’m going to have to take her to the chiropractor next week to make sure she’s okay.    But she’s having fun and she’s not bored and for a child who can see almost nothing, that is a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment