Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Toes

I ran a marathon a week-and-a-half ago and had a great time doing so. The weather was superb, the company was delightful and the course was easy (read: flat as a tortilla,)  I was fine afterwards, fine later that day and even fine the days following.  I was trained up for the race and it was a joy, as opposed to a burden to run.  Well, until. The last four miles, but gee, that was just being tired.

The only side-effect was my toes.  I had to make a shoe decision before the race and of the two options, I thought I'd selects the best one.  The shoes were new though, and while I'd run in them, I hadn't run distance in them.  It turned out the toe box was either too short or two small overall and I had pressure on my longest toes, the three in the middle. 

After the race they were all quite numb, up to and through the second digit.  The numbness stayed around after the race for the remainder of the day and only now, ten days later, am I getting feeling back into the last of the six toes. 

The shoes for general purposes though are fine.  Today at Disney, I walked eight miles in complete comfort in them.   (And I didn't have a Disney meltdown, more on that tomorrow,). I have another marathon in less than three weeks. I'm going to have to get the shoe situation figured out before then because I like feeling my toes.

The Big Boy Update:  We were waiting to go into the restaurant today that featured dinner with the characters. My son was peeking in the window while we checked in.  He exclaimed, "I saw Tigger, Winey the Pooh and Piglet...but he was very far away."  My son met the characters in person when we had our chance to eat.  He was very excited about each and every one, especially Eyore (whom he met first.)

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We were walking to the car today as we left the Magic Kingdom and the sun was long and low and in our eyes. My daughter was behind me. As I glanced down at the pavement to  avoid the sun my daughter must have been thinking the same thing because she said to me, "can I follow your legs?"

Fitness Update:  Eight miles walking today at Disney.  After running all the time, I can honestly say I never get tired walking around all day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment