Monday, March 23, 2015

Boys Need Clothes, Girls Need Outfits

Spring has arrived, or at least I think it has.   I never remember when the first day of any particular season is.   Those days never seem to match up with when the seasons start to change.   I'm guessing that's largely in part due to where I live geographically on our planet, but regardless, in my mind, it's spring.

When springtime comes (or fall, for that matter, ) I take stock of the clothes I have and usually think, "I have absolutely nothing to wear!"   This is, obviously, untrue.   I have plenty of clothes but at the start of a season I have to get my mind back into the season.   For instance, I can't imagine having to put my feet into tall, leather boots at the end of summer, but right now, sandals and flip flops seem strange and foreign.

We've been in Florida for a few days now and one of the things I'd heard about was the new outlet mall they have and how we just have to go.   My husband said he was packing less clothes because he specifically needed to get some spring wear.   So, as soon as we got here I wanted to go shopping.   Why?  Not because I was in desperate need of clothes, but I wanted one or two things—a bathing suit in particular—to help me get "into the spring of spring" as it were.

My husband and I were in the car, driving with my in-laws and I was discussing my need for that bathing suit.   My husband made the mistake of saying, "but I thought you brought bathing suits?"   My father-in-law, older and more wise in the ways of women said, "just because she has a bathing suit, it does not mean she doesn't need another one.   You should know better."

I was about to interject saying something like, "I thought you brought shirts, why do you need to buy more?" when my husband redeemed himself saying:  "I forgot.  Boys just need clothes.   Girls need 'outfits.'"

The Big Boy Update:  My son likes to go on a walk with Papa at the end of the day down here.  They live on a golf course and there are lots of things to see.   They like to go out and, "look for the crocodiles."   Do you think they know crocodiles aren't indigenous to Florida and their chances would be much better if they looked for alligators instead?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got a small, stuffed animal today at the store  It's purple and I think it's a dog or a cat.   When I asked my daughter what it's name was, she said, "Cannonball!"


No comments:

Post a Comment