Saturday, March 7, 2015

Tangled

I had a flashback to my childhood this morning.   I had gotten in from an eleven-mile run in cold weather.   I had put my hair back and worn a hat.  With the sweating and the running and the bouncing about of my hair with the hat two things happened: first, the ends of my hair froze with visible moisture on them and second, there was a huge knot that developed from the entire situation.

I didn't know there was a knot for a while.   I got in, washed my hair and then I tried to brush it.   That's when I discovered the mess.   It was big; I don't remember a knot in my hair that big since I've been an adult.   Suddenly, I remembered being a child and having my mother tell me I was going to have to get the knots out of my hair.    That's right, I said knots, not knot.

My hair was probably about shoulder-length and I was old enough to take care of my hair on my own.   I think I would try to go days without brushing it (or thoroughly brushing it) and at some point my mother had had enough and told me to brush them out.  

I remember being rough with the brush, trying to get the knots out with sheer force, most likely making them more knotted in the process.     I think I resorted to scissors on more than one occasion.

Today, I stood and worked to get the knot out without damaging the hair and remembered me decades ago doing the same thing in the mirror in the bathroom where I grew up.  

The Big Boy Update:  "I'm going to suck your blood!"  My son told me this tonight before bath.   Normally, I would have been alarmed at such a strange and violent statement.   Tonight though, I just grabbed him and threw him on the bed, telling him he'd have to catch me first.    He had just finished watching an episode of Wild Kratts, in which the Kratt brothers teach the watchers about mosquitos.   A few minutes later, my son went over in a corner and told me he was laying eggs.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter made our salad for dinner tonight.  She peeled and sliced the cucumber, cut up the peppers, selected bowls for us and then added lettuce and the items she'd cut up into each bowl.   It was very good salad, we all ate our whole bowls.

Fitness Update:   Eleven miles today and the last run before the marathon this coming Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment