Saturday, March 21, 2015

I Want to Go to Bed

Before I get to this post, I had to look up what words should not be capitalized in a title.   There were two of the word, "to" in the above title.  I tried it both ways and I wasn't sure.   It turns out, "to" is not capitalized.   Writing this blog has taught me a lot about writing.   I never liked writing in school, now I look forward every day to my time at the computer, spewing out whatever nonsense happened in my mind or life that day.  

Back to going to bed, though.   We worked very hard to ensure our children had good sleeping habits.   We wanted them to be able to sleep in a quiet room and in one where the door was open, people were talking and loud noises were happening down the hall.   We wanted them to be comfortable in sleeping in the dark and sleeping with lights on.    And we wanted them to be able to sleep in a new place, with new bedding without a worry.  Oh, and not have a need for "lovies" or comfort items.

We have been very successful with both children.   They sleep well and easily, in all types of situations.    We are flexible with bedtime, but not strict about it when an exception needs to be made (we were up until eleven o'clock last night after arriving at Nana and Papa's house.)  My children don't take naps anymore, and that's paid back by solid sleeping without waking up in the middle of the night.

My children don't do a lot of fighting about going to sleep either.   When it's bedtime, it's time to go.  When the stories are over (or the television show,) it's time to go to sleep.   They don't get out of bed once bedtime has started and as a result, they fall asleep quickly and easily.

Because bedtime isn't a seen as a punishment, they ask to go to sleep when they're tired.   My son wanted a nap for no apparent reason in the middl of the day last week.  (My children haven't had mid-day naps for over a year.)

Today was a fun, FUN, day for the children.   They got up, had breakfast, went outside (got naked) and started to get into the pool and connected hot tub.   We got swim suits and then followed hours of pool play both before and after our lunch/Costco trip out.   The amount of splashing, swimming and going underwater would wear out three adults, but they kept going.

My daughter came in about dinner time, got some clothes on with help from my husband, sat at the counter with a snack, put her head down on the counter and fell asleep.  When dinner was served she ate a bit and then looked at us and said, "I...Want...To...Go...To...Bed."  She was so tired she couldn't be bothered to eat.   I took her to her bed and didn't even change her clothes.  

My son was tired too.  He also asked to go to bed early, although he was awake enough to want Nana to read him some stories first.

The Big Boy Update:  While we were taxing at the airport, my son saw an Air Canada plane take off. He turned to my husband and said, "there's the leaf delivery plane."  My husband explained that the red maple leaf was the symbol on the Canadian Flag.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was unaware my daughter liked country music.   At lunch today she started swaying her arms and body to the music as she say.   A few minutes later I looked over and she'd gotten out of her seat and was dancing behind our table to the country son playing on the speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment