Thursday, March 5, 2015

Keeping On the Cap

Have you ever done something and not known exactly why you do it?   Then, you think about it and  realize it makes no sense to do it that way?   Now, armed with your new sense of enlightenment about this thing you're doing, surely you'll do it differently, only instead you just keep doing it the same old way?

So, I've got this thing...

A while back I got a product to put into my hair after washing it.   It was a spray bottle with a cap.  I put it in the drawer and every time I washed my hair I would pull out the bottle, take off the cap, spray some into my hair, put the cap back on and put it back in the drawer.

After about a month I got to wondering why I kept the cap around because the bottle wasn't in real need of the cap while it sat in the drawer.    I decided I'd throw away the cap the next time I used the bottle...only I didn't.    Then I decided I might need the cap in the case I did some traveling and needed to take the bottle with me.   Surely, that's the reason I haven't thrown it away and why I diligently take it off and put it back on each morning.

But I also knew I had a second bottle of that spray because they were on clearance when I bought them.    If there was a traveling situation in which I needed to make sure that bottle was capped, I could open the next drawer down and get the cap off that second bottle.

And yet I haven't thrown the cap away yet.

There is another spray bottle we got at Christmas from my brother-in-law.   If you haven't heard about  Poopourri, check out the video on YouTube, it's not only funny, the product absolutely works.   This little bottle sits on the back of the toilet months after Christmas and it still has its cap on.   In this case, both my husband and I are involved with this bottle.

And yet there the bottle sits, its cap remaining.

Maybe this blog post will be the impetus I need to get over the fact that just because "that's where the cap goes" does not necessarily mean, "the cap still needs to go there."

It's a bit like screwing the cap back on a bottle right before you put it into the recycle container or taking the keys out of the rental car no matter how many signs tell you to leave them there.   Putting the cap back on is just what you do when you're done using the bottle.

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to play "hit ball" today.   This is a game a lot like the famous dodge ball game, only my son just wants to take turns running up to you and hitting you with the ball.    As we were at an indoor trampoline park and the balls were foam, we all played along and laughed with him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got a stomach ache the other day at dinner.   This is very unusual for her and I'm glad it did't turn out she was ill or coming down with something.   What was interesting though was what she did.  She curled up on her arms and knees on the wooden chair because she said the position made her feel better.   A few minutes later, I noticed she was asleep.

Fitness Update:   I went to the gym today.   I talked to the trainer about seeing two orthopedic neurosurgeons and getting the go-ahead from both of them to exercise with no restrictions.  I still have physical limitations, but it's good to know I'm not in danger of injuring myself from specific types of exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment