Sunday, March 22, 2015

Incoming!

When I think of the exclamation, "incoming!" thoughts of the show M.A.S.H. from my childhood come to mind.   I get pictures of artillery raining down and/or the latest round of choppers coming to land with wounded needing medical assistance.

In practice though, I use the term all the time for entirely different reasons.   It's an all-purpose term meaning, "watch out for something coming your way."  It might be the wet cloth being hurled from the sink area to the table area with the spilled chocolate milk and the crying child.    It could be the warm sweater being sent over the bridge for the child who selected clothing too cool for the day's weather.   Or—and this one is perhaps my most common use—an incoming child in your direction.

Of all the uses, I think I like using, "incoming!" to let someone know a child is coming their way best.   I yelled it across the pool to my father-in-law today and he knew just what I meant.   He turned around in the water to see a small girl swimming his way.  A small girl who was swimming well-beyond her range, blindly expecting a responsible adult to be there to catch her.

The Big Boy and Tiny Girl, Mini-Nana Update:  My mother-in-law wears an apron when she cooks.   When we arrived in Florida two days ago, my in-laws got the children and took them to their house while we picked up the rental car.   When we arrived, Nana, my son and my daughter were all three wearing matching aprons and having a snack.   She had bought them at Williams Sonoma.   My children saw Nana wearing her apron after cooking dinner tonight and asked to have their mini-aprons put on so they could eat dinner in style too.  We joked and called them our mini-Nana's.

Fitness Update:   My husband and I biked to the store and back today.   We rode almost eight miles in what is undoubtedly the easiest biking terrain I can imagine.    My phone app told me we traversed a total elevation of thirteen feet.  It is quite flat here.

No comments:

Post a Comment