Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Water Works and The Cabinet Quandry

My children like water.  I hear that's very common.  Recently we've found them sitting in their bathroom sink with four little feet in the sink, drain stopper up and water everywhere.  And boy, were they happy kids when we found them. 

I don't want to squash that enthusiasm, but I do want to protect the walls, floors and cabinets.   We got them a nice stool they can stand on and lean over to wash their hands, play in the water and float all sorts of things (they shouldn't be) in the sink.  Hopefully that will contain some of the water. 

They're not allowed to do this water works play by default, but sometimes they just have a notion and my husband or I don't realize what's happening until it's a soggy mess all over the bathroom.  The counter tops aren't an issue, they're granite or marble.  The floor is tiled although I'm sure enough water would find a crack somewhere and seep into the sub-flooring if enough water were present.

It's the cabinets we're most concerned about.  We've noticed at the kitchen sink some areas where the cabinet doors just below the sink have started to flake.  This isn't the fault of my children, it's probably from all the water that's splashed out or dripped down since the day we moved in.  We're diligent now to try and wipe off any water when it happens.  What worries me is water that drips down and is left there to dry. 

What worries me more is the cabinet company that made our cabinets went out of business.   I wouldn't worry so much if I could call them and have them re-paint or stain the doors at some point in the future, but at this point I don't have a known solution.  I've been talking with our builder about other companies he's worked with that would be willing to do a color-match/stain match in the future if we have a need.

For now, we are being mindful of how water can be damaging over time.  We're also looking forward to summer when the children can play in a pool or sprinkler outside.

The Big Boy Update:  Edamame beans.  He was asleep in my husband's arms until the edamame beans arrived at dinner.  He woke up and ate almost a whole order without complaining about being woken up.  It's his new favorite green food.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  A mouth full of beans.  My daughter likes edamame beans too.  She needed to go to the potty at dinner tonight (or so she said) but before she would go, she stuffed her mouth completely full of beans.  Her mouth was so full she was still chewing on them even after we were done at the potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment