Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Cold Consideration

I have been cold for most of my life.  Well, rather, when most people put on a jacket or sweater and are fine in chillier weather, I'm always cold, about to start shivering, and wondering when we can leave this wretched location and go somewhere more reasonably warm, like inside a sauna.

The only time I specifically remember not being cold at all was when I was pregnant.  And no, I am not currently pregnant; didn't I mention that two children was two too many some days?  At any rate, for some reason this year, I'm not as cold.

I don't know if it's the exercise or the running in the cold weather.  It's definitely not that I've put on a layer of blubber that's insulating me. But for some reason, I'm just not as cold.  It does seem that I go from a garage that's not that cold, to a car that's warmed from the garage, to a parking spot that's close to the building I'm going in on most trips.  The amount of time I'm out in the elements isn't that long. 

I did a mental double-take the other day when I realized I was debating if I needed a jacket or not because, "it's up to thirty-seven degrees,"  I thought.  Today we had a school snow party event in which the school grounds are covered in man-made snow and the children romp around and slide down a slide as a school fundraiser.  It was below thirty throughout the hour we were outside. 

I was definitely aware of the cold during that hour.  Maybe I'm just not outside as much these days?

The Big Boy Update:  My son was playing in a big pile of snow this morning.  He had gone to get a small scoop and was digging and moving snow around in the pile.  This snow was rather dense and it was hard to scoop; when I came over my son said, "I'm not very good at this," smiled and then kept right on digging.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  She didn't live up to her middle name, Winter, today.  She was not interested in the snow and didn't want to slide down the slide.  She mostly wanted to take off her mittens, touch the snow for thirty seconds, decide her hands were cold in the windy weather and them complain when we couldn't get her mittens back on because her hands were wet.  Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment