Saturday, January 18, 2014

Mental Organization

Our house is very tidy.  Things have places they're suppose to be and when they're not being used, they're back in those places.  At the end of each night the house is put back in order so the next day we can start making a mess of things again.

I get teased by people that I'm very organized.  I don't deny it, I am organized.  I like to organize.  My mother taught me to organize as a child and I find it fun, going through things and coming up with better ways to utilize space or keep things together of like kinds.  But organization is an iterative process.  Getting all the food in the pantry would be "stage one" organization; getting all the cans in one place and the spices in another would be "stage two.  I'm not sure how many iterations of organization I have, but it's more than two. 

Things need to get re-evaluated over time as well.  The attic and garage are great examples.  Things get put there and left there and after time has passed, the once organized area needs a re-staging and some evaluation of what you're going to do with all the added junk you have and what current junk you don't need any more. 

The second storage area has gone through an initial organization shortly after we moved in.  It looks very organized outwardly, mostly because things are in similar bins and it looks neatly done.  The contents inside many of the bins isn't nearly so organized.  It's been a goal of mine to revamp the entire room when I had time (which is infrequent with two toddlers). 

Today we had a sitter and I got a few hours started on the process.  I had a good time going through stuff I haven't really looked at in a long time. 

The Big Boy Update:  Headstands.  He loves to do headstands on the chairs or the sofas.  He puts his head in the crack at the back of the seat and kicks his legs up over his head.  While he's balancing there with his legs dangling over the back of the seat, he asks for us to turn on Mickey.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Messy hair.  It is growing so slowly.  It is so messy looking.  Some days it has static cling and other days it looks perfectly adorable.  I am looking forward to longer hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment