Monday, January 27, 2014

Wacky Weather

It's been below freezing here lately.  We had a snow party for the children at our school this weekend where a company comes and makes artificial snow all over the playground and for a donation to our Annual Fund, you can come and frolic in the weather.

For someone in a cooler climate, this might seem ridiculous, but as we're living in the south, it was a fantastically fun morning.  The weather was cold, well below freezing, and the snow is still on the playground today.  It was above freezing this morning but even so, some remains late this evening as I left the school from an evening meeting.

Next, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things.  It was crazy at the store.  People were getting staples and preparing for terrible weather to come.  Wait, what?  What's going to happen, I thought?  And yes, we may have actual, real, natural snow coming down tomorrow late afternoon and evening.

None of that sounds unremarkable given that it's January and it should be cold.  But here's the anomaly, this afternoon I went running with my neighbor in shorts and a t-shirt--because it was sixty-two degrees.

It's a wacky weather winter here in the south, that's for sure.

The Big Boy Update:  "It's a beautiful..."  My son said this on the way to school this morning, but he didn't finish his sentence.  What was so beautiful?  Was it the yard maintenance truck in front of us laden with all sorts of exciting tools?  Could it possibly be the sunrise?  I asked him if it was the sunrise and he decided it was.  I'm still not sure that's what he meant from the start though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   Snow Bunny obsession.  We found her snow gear from last year's ski trip.  I wasn't sure it was fit her still, but we had to put her in something.  As it turns out, she still fits in one of the outfits; it's a one-piece pink jump suit with a hood.  She is obsessed with this outfit.  She wants to wear it all the time.  It looks fairly hot to wear, but we've compromised and let her wear it only wearing underwear underneath.  She is very happy when she's in her snow bunny gear.  Who knows, maybe she'll need it for the impending foul weather to come tomorrow.

Fitness Update:  Ten miles.  Has it been a long time since I ran or is it just my memory?  No, it's been a long time.  I had a great run in over sixty-degree weather today.  I'm not sure when that will happen again before spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment